5 Tips For a Heart-Healthy Pet
February 24, 2021
National Heart Health Awareness Month
When you think of February, you probably think of cold weather or Valentine’s Day. However, February is also heart health awareness month. Just like humans, it’s critical that your pet has a lifestyle that keeps their heart healthy. Knowing where to start can be confusing for pet owners, which is why the experts at Care First Animal Hospital worked together to create a list of 5 tips that you can start working on today to improve your pet’s heart health!
5 Tips For Your Pet’s Heart
- Feed Your Pet a Healthy Diet: Obesity is heart disease’s best friend. Feeding your pet a balanced, nutritious diet will help keep their weight at a healthy level and will reduce stress on the heart.
- Add in Exercise To Their Lifestyle: Frequent exercise helps strengthen your pet’s heart. And lucky for us, there are so many beautiful places to take your pet for a walk in the Raleigh area!
- Use a Heartworm Preventative: A monthly heartworm pill will protect against parasites that would put stress on your pet’s heart. Additionally, there is an injection, called ProHeart, that prevents heartworm disease for 12 months! Ask your veterinarian if your pet is eligible.
- Visit Your Vet For Frequent Check-Ups: Meaning annually if your pet is under 6 years and biannually if your pet is over 6 years. If a heart problem occurs, your vet should be able to catch it at your pet’s check-up and will give you a guide on how to help treat it.
- Brush Your Pet’s Teeth Daily: Dental disease has a strong correlation with heart disease, because when plaque and tartar build up on your pet’s teeth, it becomes trapped under the gumline and can be absorbed by the animal’s bloodstream. We recommend brushing your pet’s teeth daily and swapping normal treats for dental treats.
Make Heart Healthy A Priority
Changing your pet’s lifestyle usually means making changes to yours too, which can seem daunting at first. But making these 5 changes will make a drastic difference in your pet’s heart health, which will give them the best tools to live a long, healthy, and happy life.
Schedule a Vet Check-Up Today
The team of veterinarians at Care First Animal Hospital are passionate about heart health. Contact us today to bring your pet in so we can help you make a game plan to allow your pet to have the healthiest life possible!Back to Blog