Veterinary Pet Teeth Cleaning in Raleigh, NC
At Care First Animal Hospital, we think of everything when it comes to pet health care and do whatever we can to keep your pet feeling its best long-term. Our dental care is no exception. Serving your pets through years of experience, our veterinarians are also dentists for your pets. Annual teeth cleanings for your dog, cat or other pets are imperative to good dental and overall health.
Periodontal Disease in Pets
Sometimes pet owners aren’t aware of how important dental care is for your pet’s health. Did you know that about 72% of pet health problems are caused by bacteria buildup on the teeth? When that’s combined with plaque, it’s understandable why the risk of health problems increases as your pet ages.
You might also be surprised to learn that 85% of all dogs and cats have periodontal disease. How exactly does this happen? Bacteria from the teeth enter the bloodstream at the gumline and compromise the immune system, as well as damage the kidneys, liver and heart valves. Short-term effects can include lethargy and listlessness, similar to how we feel with the flu. Owners often mistake this for their pet’s natural aging process and slowing down.
Many times, our clients tell us that their pet is acting their age once again after their annual teeth cleaning. By getting rid of the bacteria, our Care First doctors eliminate the symptoms and poor health, as well!
5 Tips For Excellent Dental Health For Your Pet
We know that you love your pet and would do anything for their health, so here are the top 5 ways to make a difference for your pet’s dental needs today:
- Schedule an annual teeth cleaning with a veterinarian
- Switch your basic treats to dental treats
- Purchase a dental toy to help remove plaque (the toy should be flexible enough to bend with your own hands)
- Know when to bring your pet to the vet if something looks suspicious (Examples: Drooling or pawing at the mouth, red or bleeding gums, foul smell from the mouth)
- Brush your pet’s teeth daily. Watch the below video for tips and tricks on how to make it a fun experience for you and your pet!
Interested in Scheduling a Dental Appointment?
The veterinarians at Care First Animal Hospital are passionate about dental health because it truly can have a large effect on how your pet feels and their lifespan. Contact us today if you’re ready to schedule a dental appointment!