5 Healthy Alternatives to Dog Treats
October 21, 2021
Why Should You Limit Dog Treats?
Treat yourself, right? Everyone loves treats, including dogs, but too much of a good thing can lead to health problems for your beloved pets. A surplus of treats can lead to obesity, heart disease or upset stomachs for furry friends. Luckily, there are many alternatives to treats that will get your pup licking their lips and begging for more.
Healthy Treats for your Pet
Traditional dog treats are perfectly fine in moderation, but next time you’re at the pet store and tempted to grab a bag of processed, expensive treats – remember these alternatives and add them to your grocery list! Your furry friend will thank you for prioritizing their health.
- Carrots are perfect for an easy, crunchy treat! Simply chop up some carrots into bite-sized snacks and let your pup munch away. Frozen carrots are also great for teething puppies because it helps soothe swollen gums while being a healthy addition to their diet.
- Apples are a great snack because they’re high in fiber and packed with vitamins! The same way we love a fresh, crunchy apple – our pets do too! Just clean the apple and slice it into small pieces. Give your dog a few pieces at a time and enjoy the tail wags you receive in return.
- Sardines provide a vast number of benefits for your dog. While you may not like the smell of these tiny fish, they can make a world of a difference in your dog’s health! They’re a fantastic source of Omega-3 and strengthen your pet’s overall immune system, while also providing dental health support.
- Pumpkin is a great source of vitamin A and rich in fiber. Get your dog in the Fall spirit by filling a kong with canned pumpkin and freeze it! It will put your dog to work, while also enabling them to reap the benefits of consuming pumpkin.
- Blueberries make the perfect, bite-sized treat for your furry friend! They are rich in vitamins, tasty and the perfect size if you need something to replace a training treat.
Questions about your dog’s diet?
Swapping out traditional dog treats with healthy alternatives is a great first step to improving your furry friend’s health. At Care First Animal Hospital, we always want the very best for your pet and we know that even the smallest changes can make a world of difference. If you have any questions about your dog’s diet or nutrition, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team of experts.Back to Blog